JET LAG - oops

Hello Travel Fans.

I started my journey 36 hours ago on the east coast of the United States.  I traveled from Florida to London and experiencing JET LAG!!!  I have wrote articles and given tips on how to avoid jet lag, and did not take any of my advice this time.  A great way to start my birthday vacation but I will catch up soon.

How to Avoid Jet Lag:
1. Transition your hourly clock a few days before your travel to the time zone.  Exposure to sunlight helps you adjust when you arrive.  If going east, afternoon light.  If going west, morning light.

*** I worked night shift 2 days before I traveled east. WRONG!!! It would have worked well if I was traveling west.  I did not gradually adjust my time zone to London 5 hours ahead of EST.  And when I landed, I stayed up for 2 hours then took a nap.  Due to London weather, sunlight was not available.

Most flights from USA east coast to Europe leaves at night; you arrive at 6:00 am to 9:00 am.  Most European hotels accommodate the traveling and have some rooms available for the early arrivals.  You can always call the hotel 1-2 days prior to arrival to arrange it.

2. Hydrate with water.

*** I had 1.5L of water on the airplane.  But if I was already dehydrated [working the night shift], then that amount only caught me up to normal.  Then the travel and flying took me back to dehydration.  I landed feeling sluggish and tired despite sleeping on the plane. And a true test of hydration is the color of your urine; clear and if you can see through it displays good hydration.

3.  Eat light.

*** I am not a fan of the airplane "chicken" which seems to always be the main entree.  Before leaving Atlanta, I got a sandwich but the "heavy" french fries should have been avoided. I also had bean salad before the flight which is a NO NO!  The beans cause gas, abdominal bloating and expansion with the airplane pressure.  I felt like I had instantly gained 10 pounds in mid-flight.

4.  Wear loose comfortable clothing.

CHECK.  I did that right.

5.  Limit caffeine and alcoholic beverages.

*** I had worked and traveled the previous day.  I had coffee the night before and the 2 cups the morning of traveling.  And this only adds to the dehydration.

6.  Walking to increase circulation.

CHECK  Have you been to ATL airport?

All in all I need to take my own advice.  So I have recovered.  I drank plenty of water today [CLEAR] and walked blocks to my conference.  The birthday celebration is still on track to be a blast and I will NOT lose my head.  The vacation will survive and BE GREAT!

The Tower of London

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Travel Illnesses

Sleep to Destress, Improve Health and Lose Weight

Egypt and Essential Oils